Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Ghost of Tom Joad

"The Ghost of Tom Joad", by Bruce Springsteen is the song of the week. It was Dr. Becker's song of the day last Wednesday; however, it is on repeat on my playlist. Why am I so fond of this song? The song features a harmonica. I love the harmonica; it is arguably my favorite instrument. I have never learned to play one, but it's on the list (the list is quite long; ask my parents). Neil Young also has a song with a harmonica feature that I am quite fond of, "Comes a Time", don't listen to it live if you can avoid it. There is a gold chest in my room at home that has a harmonica in it. Often times as a child I remember blowing on it curiously as any youngster would do. I believe the harmonica is my great grandfather's; the love must run in the family.

Today is a Tuesday, which means I have an eight o'clock class followed immediately by another class. I wasn't feeling all too well in my first class; my stomach was upset. I was rationalizing in my head how imperative it was for me to attend my next class. I was going to just bear with it as much as I just wanted to go back to the dorms and lie down. I proceeded to converse with God about how I just didn't want to bear another hour and fifteen minutes of class. Turns out God didn't think I needed to bear the class out either; I went to the next class and there was a note the door "class canceled". He is so good to me. I love receiving the little gifts He surprises me with each day. Prayer to me is just conversation with God constantly throughout the day. I try to keep in mind that every conversation I engage in each day God is a part of. I have never been the "Dear God" person, maybe at dinner, but even then. He is my friend, my protector, my father, my romancer.

A couple weeks ago I was volunteering in a service project. I ended up cutting my leg open and needing stitches. The staff at St. Edward's are fabulous and assisted me in every aspect of the endeavor. The man who dropped me off at the hospital was named Lou Cerna. I was with him for maybe five or ten minutes. My stitches were taken out last week and the events of that weekend have long faded from my thoughts. However, today I checked my mail and there was a Hallmark card in my box, from Lou. What a thoughtful man. This was one of the other gifts God provided in my day thus far.

One of the girls across the hall and I have recently dubbed that it shall be Christmas all year long, well at least in my car. We ventured out on a Starbucks trip today, and as we always do on our outings, proceeded to blare Christmas music during our journey. Although this may sound silly, think about it, celebrating Christ's birthday all year round, what a concept! So for today, if I may be so bold, I propose you go for a drive and listen to Christmas music; roll the windows down; the weather is fabulous. Believe me, God loves accompanying Breanna and I on our Christmas singing adventures in my car; He will love accompanying you as well.

Did you listen to Mr. Bojangles? How was it? It just started playing, that is why I ask.

I have learned it is all the little things in life that bring happiness. Just because I am becoming quite fond of listing (thank you Grandmother) I will give you my little things happiness list and bid you adieu.

-songs of the day
-packages from home
-time with the Comer boys
-leaving notes on the mirror for Claire (my roommate)
-Christmas in the car
-standing on furniture
-strolling around campus
-hugging it out with Curran Kelley
-white v-neck t-shirts
-coffee
-skyping my parents
-sitting in the many hallways of Dujarie hall
-playing the guitar
-FCA
-listening
-Magnolia cafe
-fro-yo
-dreaming of Africa

Merry Christmas, love love love,

law

I still listen to "Mr. Bojangles"; I still lobe the harmonica--but I DO NOT think it should be Christmas year round. My dad suggested I put my reflection at the beginning of the blog post but it didn't make sense to me. How would you know what I was talking about if you didn't read the original first...? I don't know--let me know your thoughts about it if you have them. Reading this sends me straight back to college and boy was that a fun time. I was such a wide-eyed curious kid.

I loved music. I loved going to class. I loved my friends. I loved my dorm. College was so good for me. In all reality, high school was very hard on me. I won't get into that today, but it just wasn't a great experience. College, however, offered me everything I could every want and more. College continued to be a great experience...we continue to get into that as the blog continues...

3 comments:

  1. I didn't get to read all of this or the other two posts, but I've read enough to know I can't wait to get back to your blog and read these!! : D I will post a real comment once I do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for helping Claire. As you get to know her better, you will know what I mean if you don't already. Sincerely, Claire's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mrs. Corn,

    No thanks needed, but thank you for your kind words. Claire means the world to me; I value my relationship with her in a way I cannot convey through my words.

    Regards,

    law

    ReplyDelete