Friday, October 8, 2010

The Farmer's Daughter

For over half of my life, I was a farm kid. My brothers would argue that I never did much on the farm. However, today my general knowledge of "getting your hands dirty" came in handy. My next door neighbor and loyal comrade Curran Kelley is to say the least, a city boy. Today he comes to me telling me his car is making a weird grinding noise. I proceed to ask him if he has checked his oil lately, he then told me his light hadn't come on. I smiled and told him he was really a city boy. I asked him if he knew how to check his oil, he didn't. Now, mind you, I am no car expert but I do know how to check my oil so I proceeded to check Curran's oil. Needless to say, his car was in desperate need of oil. I never really enjoyed driving tractor, working cattle, or learning the simple things that are learned working on a farm. However, today I smiled thinking about how Granddad and Dad would have just laughed at the situation and smiled at the thought of me checking my best guy friend's oil in his car. I was kind of glad this happened today, because it was about the time I checked my car's oil as well.

Tomorrow my LLC and I are going to the Givers concert at Emo's. The Givers recently played a showed at the college; I loved it! I am excited that tomorrow is Friday, going to see the Givers is just an added bonus.

Today I talked to my best guy friend from home, Parker Heinz. Parker and I have been friends probably since we were potty training. We have been through just about everything together, and he is always there for me no matter what kind of a day I'm having. Parker is silly and pushes my buttons, but he is a genuine friend and I love him and my friendship that I have with him.

Wednesday in my honors class we were talking about how much we read as a child and how TV affected us when we were younger. I chuckled to myself thinking of the note that my parents put on our TV stand, "Expand your mind, read a book." Not to say I didn't watch TV as a kid, but believe me our family did some serious reading.

Today I decided to sum up how many hours of homework I have done this week thus far; the magic number is twenty seven. Welcome to college eh? The funny thing is, I actually enjoy most of it, for now at least.

Curran and I are headed out to Wal-Mart to pick up some oil for his car so today's blogging must come to a close.

Today's suggestion, listen to "Up, Up, Up" by the Givers and check the oil in your car.

Find your way to me,

law

1 comment: