Saturday, June 30, 2012

Day 130

As I sit here in my room writing what will probably be my last blog post in Chile (for now) I am wondering how to say goodbye. How do you say goodbye to people who you really do consider as family? How do you say goodbye to a country that has given you so much? I guess that is just the point though--you don't. I know that this is not my last adventure in Chile but not knowing when I will be back makes saying goodbye a little more difficult. This journey has made me get out of my comfort zone and just grow. I have learned a language, eaten some crazy things, made new friends, laughed, cried, got lost on a micro, and so much more. In less than twenty-four hours I will be in Amarillo, Texas and this adventure will come to an end. I take that back though, this adventure ends when I want it to end. I'm not going to go back to the US and stop speaking my second language and forget everything I have learned. I will just have to integrate my changed self back into my homelands.

Chile is such a wonderful country full of so many wonderful people. There is no place in the world like it. Valparaiso will  always have such a special place in my heart. I will miss the smell of the sea, the daily hugs and kisses from my parents, the rainbow of houses painted into the cerros...all of these things I know my heart will long for. That is the beauty of leaving though--I take what I have learned back with me knowing that I can always come back.

I can't even begin to wrap my mind around this experience and what it means to me. It seems like just yesterday I was sitting in the Santiago airport writing Day 1. As I type this, I am now at day 130. There are 130 days full of wonderful memories that will always be a part of who I am.

I would like to thank each of you for sticking with me throughout this journey. I appreciate all of your comments and well wishes. I hope that you will continue to follow me on my adventures even as my time in Chile comes to a close. If I could give you any advice to take with you from this post it would be to go live your dream. Do what you have always wanted to do, go where you have always wanted to go and don't let anything stop you. For the old, for the young, do what makes you happy and don't miss out on a great opportunity because you are afraid.

To you, to this beautiful city, to my countries, to my parents, to Mamá and Papá, to my brothers and sister, from the bottom of my heart thank you for being with me throughout this experience.

Chau


No comments:

Post a Comment