Monday, June 18, 2012

Shiver Cold

I was skyping with one of my good friends today back in the states who is a native Spanish speaker. She was baby sitting her niece and talking to her in Spanish and I could understand everything...no really. I do pretty good understanding here but sometimes it's difficult because everyone here speaks SO FAST. Our director told us when we went home that this would happen because everyone in other Latin American countries speaks so much slower. I really didn't believe her mainly because when I had went to bilingual mass at home my priest sounded so fast. I don't know if it will be like this with everyone when I get home but I sure hope so!

My nephews and brother, sister-in-law, and sister came over Saturday to help us celebrate Father's Day. I am so so so thankful for both of my fathers. My nephews and I spent most of the day playing in the living room. Growing up with two brothers then moving to Austin and spending lots of time with my little (not so little anymore) boy cousins who are just like little brothers makes playing sword fights, wrestling on the couch, hide-and-go-seek, and watching random movies is something that I am accustomed to and enjoy very much. My youngest nephew is also right at that age where he can be picked up and tossed up in the air--we probably did that for an hour. My older nephew sometimes gets frustrated with me because I don't always understand his Spanish on the first try and unlike most Chileans he isn't as patient with me which is great because it pushes me to be more attentive when we play. He definitely likes to call me "fome" when I don't understand sometimes--he's a character and one of the sweetest boys I've ever met.

My Papá has been pretty sick lately but he started feeling better yesterday--I know because he was picking on me at the dinner table. I told him he wasn't sick anymore. Little by little he is getting better but if you would say a prayer for him that would be great--Mamá needs all the help she can get. ;-)

I have recently had a slew of blessings happen in my life. The first came when I received word that I would be able to intern for my hometown county newspaper. You can read my first article here. I love the fact that I grew up in a small town where people still care about you long after you have graduated high school--it's a good feeling.

Okay--I am off to school to study for my LAST Spanish test!

Love you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment