Saturday, June 2, 2012

Never a Wish Better Than This--100 days

It really seems like just yesterday that I was sitting in the Santiago airport writing the first post of this adventure at six in the morning. So much has happened since then and I guess you could say I'm getting a little nostalgic about my experience abroad (oh God, another nostalgic blog post ;-)). Yesterday was my 100th day abroad....whoa. It is so crazy for me knowing that I now have less than a month left in this country. We were actually sitting at breakfast this morning and I realized we only have three weekends left--time is running out. Most study abroad handbooks will tell you that at this point you begin to realize what little time you have left and run rampant for the next thirty days trying to fit in the rest of the things you want to do before you leave. I guess to some extent that is true--but there isn't much I haven't done that I wanted to do. The only things that are really left on my list are going to Easter Island (that isn't going to fit in my budget and time frame really) and going snowboarding in the Andes, which at this point don't have enough snow.

I guess the thing that concerns me at this moment is leaving my family here--which has genuinely become an extension of my family. They don't really prepare you for this part of the journey. Let me explain. Leading up going abroad there were all sorts of lectures I had to go to about getting sick, money, cultural adjustment, homesickness, coming back into the country, reverse culture shock, ect. something that no one ever addressed is how to say goodbye. I guess that subject isn't really touched because there isn't some great research statistic or psychologist who can tell you how to more easily adjust to leaving people you love. Don't worry though--I'm not all twisted in a knot yet and I'm definitely still living in the moment and am not too worried about leaving--believe me, I'm excited to get back to Texas and give my parents and grandparents some serious hugs! I'm on this topic of course because I'm in a way running out of time but also because of a conversation I had had with a couple of good friends I have made here. We were sitting at one of the many quiet bars in town this Thursday night talking, like girls do, about almost everything. Somehow we got on the topic of first impressions and one of my friends had told me when she first met me that she thought I would be the person out of our group to have the hardest time here in Chile mainly because when we were first talking (where you from, favorite food, school, ect.) I had told her I was from Texas and didn't eat green food. Haha, I would've been worried about my well-being too. She proceeded to tell me she had never been more wrong and out of everyone she thought I had thrived the most in our time here. I don't think I have received a more genuine compliment in my life. I didn't completely agree at first because I definitely see people in our crew who speak fluent Spanish and could probably pass as Chileans at this point. Later when I was thinking about it it really just made me feel good about my time here. I came here to immerse myself into the Chilean culture, learn Spanish, partially disconnect myself from my life in the states and technology, and grow as a person--hearing that I have thrived during this experience makes me know that I have done all of these things and I was so happy to hear that someone else had also recognized that. I'm definitely not a person who needs to be assured or complimented on my life in abundance but it was nice to talk with my friend and listen to what she had to say about my adjustment--everyone likes to hear that they are doing something right, right?

Yesterday we had an asado at the botanical gardens where we grilled, talked, laughed, drank, played games, and of course took lots of photos. It was fun to get out of the city and hangout with my friends--we even met new Chilean friends who I asked to start our fire for us.

Classes are winding down for me, which, even in the Chilean education system means that they are winding up considering it is the end of the semester. I have finals, projects, and final papers to write just like I do back home--just not as difficult. My Spanish, still, is getting better everyday--there are days when I have lots of trouble--Papá notices those days, "mucho ingles......"

Today we are hanging out and then later going to my friend's house to make EEUU desserts. The futbol game is on this afternoon so I will probably watch that. Tomorrow my sister is coming over--I'm excited, we haven't seen her in a couple of weeks.

This last week I also learned how to whistle thanks to my friend Lauren (she's a gem). I was so excited! No one could really understand my excitement mainly because they don't realize how long I have been trying to whistle. Also, note, the kind of whistling we are talking about is the loud fingers in your mouth kind--I can whistle a tune. I am not perfect at it yet and need some practice--but I can do it and that is all that matters! (For me, it's always the little joys in life...obviously).

Here are some pictures from the asado:

Love these ladies






Love us some choripan--I liked the spider too :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment