Saturday, March 10, 2012

Surf's Up

Today I happened upon a beach where local Chileans were out catching the waves. I have absolutely been dying to surf since I have been here so I took it as the perfect opportunity to rent a board, wetsuit, and take a group lesson. I can snowboard....I'm not awesome or anything, but I can do it, so I figured I would give surfing a try. Honestly, I should've probably waited until the absolute end of the summer months to try because I loved it and am addicted and want to buy a board (don't worry I'm not). Okay so I put my wet suit on and I've worn one before but yeah those suckers are soooo comfortable let me tell you...then I met my instructor who was of course, super cute. When all of the group was ready we went on a light jog and did some stretching to get our muscles warmed up..stop laughing, the water here is so cold, you can't just go head first into this. Then we spent five minutes on the beach learning how to get up on a wave and we were off! I felt like I was in the middle of the movie "Blue Crush" with Bananarama singing "Cruel Summer" in the background....CROSSED THAT OFF MY BUCKET LIST!

This is how I think I was surfing:



This is what I actually looked like most of the time:



Haha, but really I did get up, and was able to ride my fair share of baby waves. The first time I stood up, it was like this:


I was disappointed we didn't have a camera but we really just happened upon the beach, I didn't like set out that morning to surf. That's the great thing about this place--even if you have no idea where you are going or what you want to do, it will be an awesome adventure.

For instance, every time my friends and I ride the buses here we seem to get lost in the Chilean hill country. There are so many buses and they go so many places--it isn't simple, believe me. Today we ended up half way to Santiago (joking mom) and then finally got off and onto the bus that would take us to Vina. It's great though, it's the best way to see the cities and learn which buses NOT to take. :-) I love getting lost, absolutely love it. I have always found some adrenaline high in getting lost and not knowing exactly where I am going or how I will get to where I want to go. I realize, at times, this isn't a good thing--don't fret I'm a safe lost person. I've been drilled enough by Teague to know not to talk to creepy looking strangers (only say hi to them :-) ) , not to wander into dangerous parts of places, and to make sure I am always with someone, especially when I am hiking, which, when I am in Valpo is ALL THE TIME. Getting lost was great today, we found the best beach on the whole coastline (I am convinced) for real though, I was in the water and the view was the biggest mountain range on the continent...what more could I have asked for--God is such an awesome artist.

The other night, I also had a Chilean hot dog (completo) I had it complete with avocado and tomato, yep it was disgusting, should've done it the American way and said solo completo, oh well you live and learn right? Also, the mustard was blech...sometimes I really love Chilean food, and then there are times that I just crave Sonic, but really the food here is good. I also had tons of more random facts that I have been thinking of for you...maybe I can remember them sorry if I repeat from previous blogs.

-there is like a 16% tax on books here so they photocopy all of their books for school--I am going to pick-up my photocopied books Monday...my professor was like it's illegal here but it doesn't matter there is a store on every corner
-Chileans eat mayonnaise on like everything
-being charged to drink water at a restaurant is so life changing
-they actually have a coin worth one peso..that's a fifth of a penny
-their cops ride around the city on green dirt bikes, it's literally the greatest thing ever
-ice is so rare of a find here
-I found out that one of our cat's name is Pololo (boyfriend) haha
-they have a huge celebration for International Women's Day...it's awesome!
-not every Chilean runs on Chilean time....not my Latin American Literature teacher at least ;-)

Okay well that's all for now, tomorrow we are going to a big BBQ and Sunday we are making Empanadas with Mama!

Chao now brown cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment