Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Chileanismo....PO

So today's post is a little backwards, mainly because I have a lot of random Chileanness on my mind:

-Chilean hazing--today I saw shoeless students who had ripped clothes everywhere on the streets and apparently first year students get their shoes and backpacks stolen, clothes ripped, and are forced to beg for money on the streets to retrieve their personals from the upperclassmen...the money that is made by begging is used for a huge party on the beach--our parents said that it was tradition and totally not a big deal...I'd break someone's nose if they tried to steal my kicks...(for those of you who don't know, I have a huge shoe fetish)

-Since I go to a Catholic school here, like I do in the states, I might be getting a couple extra days off for Easter

-If you wear bright colors here, people assume that you are crazy or homosexual.....haha I wonder what Chileans think of me with my neon attire everyday

-There are so many words that Chileans use that aren't Spanish (Chileanismos) that I have decided that Google should have  a translate button for Chilean...

-Most of the kids here my age know tons of 80s and 90s music--tons of it--because when Pinochet was ruling such music wasn't allowed to be played and after he was no longer in power they haven't stopped playing it--literally jump on a bus and you hear it everyday thanks to my aunt back in Austin and my parents I'm pretty cultured in my music and enjoy it being the constant jam

-Nutella is like 6-7 dollars here...GET OUT OF TOWN...for that small jar...

-Smoking is literally allowed everywhere..our school is like indoor outdoor...hard to explain but like it has a plaza in the middle but you are inside the building and it isn't smoke free...I think the only place you can't smoke is on the metro..and maybe the micro...we had a big conversation about the cost of cigarettes in our class today

-Went to watch the "Hunger Games" yesterday...it was all in English, it just had Spanish subtitles and it didn't cost an arm and a leg for popcorn and a coke..I didn't get either, mainly because I hate popcorn, but it's nice to know that Chilean movie theaters aren't outrageously expensive...$5 bucks for a night show...any day.

-Okay, so it does get nippy here...granted I wore shorts all day while most of the Chileans were in coats and gloves, it was like chilly...not cold yet...I fear that it is coming now though...we'll see how bad.

-"La Nana" is this Chilean film we watched in class the other day...definitely a good movie--dry humor

-I'm running out of facts so how about some pictures from my Mama's birthday!








No comments:

Post a Comment