Tuesday, April 17, 2012

6.7

So I'm laying in my bed watching Grey's Anatomy halfway asleep and the ground starts shaking and my light starts swaying and for a moment I'm like "Oh, just a minor earthquake no big deal" haha....yeah, right. Then everything starts shaking and rumbling and Mama is yelling at me and my roommate to get out into the middle of the house under the doorway. It lasted for about a minute and a half but seemed like so much longer. My roommate and I just kind of looked at each other the whole time like uh....I think this is what Chileans are talking about when they say there are earthquakes here. Afterwards we all got back in our beds and there were a few smaller rumbles. The phone lines were dead and I was on Facebook so my Chilean sister was able to tell me that she was okay which made my parents happy. She also was able to talk to my Chilean brother and his family who were all okay too--thank goodness for Facebook (really). Because the quake was over 6.5, precautions were taken for a tsunami and people who lived in the lower parts of the city evacuated to the cerros. My class this morning was canceled because my teacher lost water and power in her home. Our house was fine except for bits of paint that chipped off of the walls. In my class today I learned that Japan also had an earthquake around the same time and so the tsunami prevention was more emergent.

I was definitely shocked for a minute and had a bit of an adrenaline rush, but years of living in the Panhandle in tornado alley prepared me for the hand of Mother Nature. Tornadoes are a bit different because you know that they are coming but the experience is about the same (or I think so). I heytelled my mom this morning to let her know that I was okay and not to worry and she said that she wasn't she knew I would've called if something bad had happened. It was a very eventful night to say the least but all is well here on the southern front.

No comments:

Post a Comment