Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 5

Today we finally left Santiago. As great as it was, I was ready to leave the big city and head to Valparaiso to meet my Chilean family. We left our hotel around one and then arrived at an arts and crafts market where we had lunch. I had empanadas con carne--they were delicious except for having too many onions. Afterwards we were on our way to Valpo. I pretty much slept the entire time and soon we arrived, the drive is about an hour and a half. We got off the buses and our families were waiting inside to meet us. My mama Chilean is named Gabriela and my papa Chilean is named Jose Manuel, Gabriela got us a taxi to take back to the house. We arrived in the house and they showed us our bedrooms. They were super sweet, but don't speak any English--it works out great because I don't speak any Spanish. They had hung a crucifix on my wall because they knew I was Catholic (they are as well) and Gabriela told me anything that she fixed that I didn't like I didn't have to eat---they had been told I was a picky eater as well.

For dinner we had spaghetti, salad, and of course bread. We talked for a long while at the table afterwards. Jose also showed us how to get in and out of the house with our keys. We talked for a very long time and they helped me and my roommate with our Spanish, showing us different things and then telling us what it was--we also told them in English so they could learn too.

They are super sweet and my room is so nice and comfortable--I definitely feel at home here. That's all for now.

Chao po.

No comments:

Post a Comment