Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Alabama Shakes

I don't usually post about bands or albums, mainly because I don't ever like an artist enough to devote an entire blog post to their music. I have been on an Alabama Shakes kick for a while now--a long while. This obsession has now escalated to a pretty ridiculous amount of listening time that is solely devoted to them. I am definitely one of those people who thinks that there is certain music that goes with certain seasons. For instance, country music is a summertime genre, bands like Mumford and Sons belong in a winter playlist, and well...artists like Beyonce can go into the year round category. I listen to the Alabama Shakes year round, but I do think they are a springy/early summer band. It's the type of music that you want to listen to on you back porch watching the sun go down. There are very few artists that I think have a very established original sound. The Alabama Shakes definitely have it--so do Givers. It's that type of music that you just sit there and are like...god they are so good.

If you aren't a huge music lover you probably think that I'm babbling a bunch of nonsense. I don't know, I've just always been one of those people that really resonates with sounds and I love to really get the heart of what lyrics mean to me. I think that Brittany Howard's voice (the lead singer for the Alabama Shakes) is just so phenomenal. She really is able to produce a sound that is just magnificent. They play with so much soul and have such a down to earth vibe. This is probably my favorite song of theirs:


Granted, this is my all time favorite movie--and no, not just because it's popular right now. I saw this movie long before everyone fell in love with it. It is the most phenomenal movie that I have ever seen--and this song pretty much makes the movie. When I am learning a new chart in my drum lessons, my teacher (who is pretty much the coolest guy ever) always tells me to read a chart like it is a story. I don't know that a piece of music has ever made as much sense as it did the day he told me that. Music is totally written that way. When I started to read music and play it that way, it honestly just came alive off of the page. That is exactly what the Alabama Shakes music does for me--it comes alive. I think in doing that, it also makes me feel more alive. I realize that not everyone has my taste in music or even listens to it in this way--which is totally fine. I just think there is always something greater that can be accomplished with music. Like check this out:


Isn't that great? Totally unexplainable--except that human beings are amazing.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE that song.
    Also, check out your nomination :)
    http://thebrightsideaccordingtolaura.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster.html

    ReplyDelete