Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sail

This is how I show my love.

It's cold, and the cold is annoying. WAH.

Last night the school put on discussion that included a mediator and panel of nine speakers discussing The N-Word, or "nigger". The tension was definitely high in the room throughout the night, many ethnic backgrounds being represented. The common consensus of the discussion concluded three main points: 1) The word should not be used at all and should be virtually removed from language usage except when used in historical context. 2) African Americans can use the word but Caucasians cannot. 3) It is just a word. All of the discussion was particularly interesting to me especially because I had never been close friends with an African American until I moved to Austin. My friend was actually a member of the panel and my first African American professor mediated the discussion. When I told my friend she was my first African American friend and that there were no African Americans who lived in my town she was shocked and completely honored.

This weekend I am traveling to Houston to help with a disciple now weekend. I don't know if I mentioned this in my last post, but I am super stoked!

Tonight I am going to be listening to a speaker talk on college debt.....(insert large gulp here).

Here are the newest pair of shoes I want. I really would like to have them because Curran and I have started hiking every weekend. The shoes are water shoes and hiking shoes as well as used for overall fitness. I either want this pair:

This pair:

Or this pair:


LAW

2 comments:

  1. Ugly shoes, go figure. Are they functional as well as stylish? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided I want the purple; and yes that barefoot book you read, these are inspired by that book! So much research has proven that they are better for your feet. :)

    ReplyDelete