Monday, December 25, 2017

If you want to be humbled...

...learn a new language. I watched my dad read one of the prayers tonight at mass, in front of a packed church, in Spanish.

I find it rather frustrating to hear people say, "I wish I could speak Spanish." The answer in my head is always, "You can! Learn it!" My dad is doing just that--learning Spanish. He was sitting on my bed the other night reading me prayers and a homily he would read in Spanish at mass. He'd read them multiple times and had practiced them over and over but they still weren't perfect. He was frustrated as he stumbled through some of the more difficult words and even some of the words that are easy to pronounce but fumble out. He groaned and I laughed, and then we laughed together. We talked together about how difficult it is to speak Spanish and I assured him his Spanish was getting better (I don't know how much he actually believed me).

You see, it's hard to believe someone that you are speaking a language better unless that is his or her mother tongue. I get it--it isn't as reassuring to him that I am telling him his Spanish is getting better as opposed to someone who has spoken Spanish all of his or her life. I spent months living in Chile for the sole purpose of learning Spanish and I still get excited when someone compliments my Spanish.

Learning a language requires an extreme amount of vulnerability...well if you are really learning it. To those of you who do Rosetta Stone or your Dualingo everyday, I commend your efforts but is that all you're doing? I'm guessing if you have done either one of those you can read, write, and speak in small phrases. However, how long would the cat have your tongue if you were asked to speak or converse with native speakers? Speaking and listening add a whole new level to learning a language. You know you will make mistakes. You know you will fumble through words. You risk being laughed at--or even worse, someone just giving up on you and saying, "Sorry, I don't understand".

When people realize I speak Spanish, I keep saying Spanish because that is how it relates to my life and perspective but I feel as if the same applies to any language, and they do not expect me to speak Spanish, the first thing I hear is, "Say something to me in Spanish!" I used to do this when I was little--but boy do I hate this phrase now. "What would you like for me to say?" I respond. "I don't know, just say something in Spanish." Wow, what an annoying and tiring conversation. Not only does it put you on the spot but it also puts doubt in your mind (or at least it does mine). For instance, what if I mess up or it doesn't sound correct--of course I can say something in Spanish but clearly that is not the point.

Even now, as a Spanish teacher, I still second guess myself many times. I can think in Spanish, have long conversations, go to a restaurant, talk on the phone, etc. all of the things that I can do requiring me to speak in English I can also do in Spanish. My dad isn't there yet, but he is well on his way and I am proud of him for that.

If you really want to learn a language, get off of Rosetta Stone and humble yourself to the world and conversations of other people from other cultures and other languages.

No comments:

Post a Comment