Tuesday, December 17, 2013

XO

At the end of one of the most challenging years, Beyoncé dropped an album that I absolutely cannot stop listening to. If you are reading this post and don't like Beyoncé or having something negative to say about the album then you can click here. I don't ever do album reviews...I actually don't even know if you could call this post an album review--I honestly want to just write about my experience with this album--audio and visual.

Beyonce's new album should be listened to not song by song and in between trips to the grocery store. The set of songs and the way that she created her masterpiece is a story and should be sat down with and listened to like you read a book--giving it thought and time. The self-titled album pulls on your heart strings, makes you want to dance, love your people for who they are, and just down right cry--it's what my professor George would like to call a catharsis. That is exactly what happened to me while listening to this album--I had a catharsis, an emotional outpouring.

She goes from singing about her love with Jay-Z, to crashing down the anti-feminist barrier, to losing a child, and then her love for Blue--and so much more. My favorite song on the album is constantly changing and at the moment, the song I am in love with is "Superpower." I love this song so much more because of the video. Beyonce didn't leave fans trying to visualize what each song meant--she just created a video for each song, and "Superpower", like all of the other videos, is just flat out brilliance. Beyonce brings in all of her people to the video--her people people. I have such a thing for being around your people. I love my people and they are my rock. When I watch this video, all I can think about is my people.

Honestly, I have so much to say about this album but I'm not entirely sure I have processed enough of it into words. I don't remember ever being obsessed with an album like this before--song, yes, maybe...but album...no, never. Beyonce has redefined how my heart responds to music--mainly because she shattered it into a million pieces with "Heaven" and then picked it right back up and put it together with "Blue".


Christmas came early this year. Love you like XO.


No comments:

Post a Comment